Sunday, August 5 from 10AM to 12PM
Bees are Black – with Gilt Surcingles –
Buccaneers of Buzz –
Ride abroad in ostentation
And subsist on Fuzz – (Fr1426)
Families are welcome at this celebration of all things pollination at the Emily Dickinson Museum! Did you know Dickinson wrote around 100 poems about bees? She was a keen observer of the natural world where hummingbirds and butterflies also captured her imagination. Perhaps such pollinators fascinated Dickinson because of their contributions to her flower gardens, where their hungry activities supported the growth of her plants! At our Fair, learn more about the continued important of pollinators today, and the things you can do at home to make a happy environment for them.
The Pollinator Fair is free and open to all, but individual activity fees apply.
At the Pollinator Fair:
- Decorate a pot and plant seeds from Emily Dickinson’s garden to take home
- Roll your own beeswax candle
- Press flowers to make your own herbarium in the style of Emily Dickinson
- Test your wits at our garden scavenger hunt
- Compete against other would-be bees at our pollination bean bag toss
- Drop in at the Reader to Reader story corner to read a book or poem about pollinators—or have one read to you
- Learn from apiarists with the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources when you visit their live observation hive, and try on and touch beekeeping equipment
- Lucy Abbott | Heart of Mirrors Tarot
Lucy is a multi-passionate, intuitive tarot reader based in Western Massachusetts. She is self-taught in the art of tarot, and has been reading for others for a short time. Lucy’s readings draw from her immersion in art history, western herbalism, poetry, and following the cycles of the moon. She considers herself an apprentice to the craft which is why you will find her readings are offered by donation. When Lucy is not reading tarot or at her day job, she can be found teaching and practicing yoga, photographing the valley’s betrothed couples, and working on her writing that pictures Emily Dickinson as poetry and plant witch. Lucy will offer short readings by donation ($5 suggested).
- Other vendors TBA